B E C O M I N G

In which the author selfishly explores personal concepts and ideas that likely hold very little meaning to the World At Large.

Friday, August 06, 2004

I'm So Happy But I Can't Stop Crying

I made a rather outstanding jambalaya last night with 2 pounds of shrimp, a pound of chorizo and a whole lotta rice. I boiled the raw shrimp in Louisiana hot seafood boil spices that came in a neat little packet. Dump in pot, add water, boil. This seemed like a simple project until the shrimp were done and I realized I had to peel them.

Shrimp are nasty and creepy looking, but they do taste good. I’ve never liked peel and eat shrimp; to me, it is like sitting down to a big plate of juicy, chitinous insects and dismantling them before devouring them in a single bite. Ew. So usually I buy my shrimp pre-cooked, de-veined, un-shelled and properly neutered, thus missing out on a wonderful Cajun tradition, but this time, I bought the suckers raw. They had split shells and were already de-veined, so I can’t claim to have gone full bore, but I did pull their legs and shells off. I say again, ew.

This explains why my eyes hurt like a sonofabeeyatch today. I washed my hands several times, but apparently the pepper oil (if I knew how to make that a link to Belfry, The, I would) did not wash off, because this morning when I tried to put in my contacts I was in for a painful and long-lasting surprise.

Lesson learned: next time, wear gloves.

“Now we know!” said the stupid children.
“And knowing is half the battle,” answered Duke with serene condescension.

3 Comments:

Blogger k_sra said...

Link to John(Btw, the little world symbol with a paperclip will link any page to the highlighted words in your text.)

8:07 AM  
Blogger El Fid said...

What a disgusting excuse of a human.
"Do you mind if I put my feet in your face?"
"Not if you don't mind if I fart in here." That's what I would have said. He wasn't interviewing, he was hand-picking wimps to push around. If that's true, it sounds like you won't make it to round three.

A fun way to mess with folks who think they're really intelligent is to make up metaphores that make absolutely no sense and relate to nothing, and watch them spiral into a death trap of confusion, trying to paste sense onto what you just said. Because they feel some queer obligation to "know" what everyone is talking about at all times.

Example: I like to think that if I were to take the job, my influence would be like dragging the moon closer by at least another 5,280 feet; organization, productivity, you name it.

You rock, LoL. What about jean skirts?

8:37 AM  
Blogger honest + popular said...

Okay, all this talk of Loozeeana cooking is making me homesick. I am up here in the land of red socks and waspish weddings for at least another 9 days. When you gonna get your jazz singin' self down to the delta anyway, is what I want to know.

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home